Monday, August 01, 2005

Our Annual Family Trip to Shipshewana

Tonight, I am getting ready for our annual trip to Shipshewana, Indiana. This is the heart of Amish country in Indiana and I look forward to this all year. The four of us in my family have always gone with my dad's parents, so six of us total, since I was probably about 6 years old. We used to take my grandparent's motorhome, which was awesome. Maggie and I would be done between 12:30 and 1:00 and would go sit in the A/C'd motorhome and watch TV until the parents and grandparents were done. Well, my grandpa's knees have been replaced and driving the motorhome that far is starting to be very stressful for him. We took the mini-van for the first time last year and it wasn't all that bad.

The biggest thing we do down in ShipShe is the huge Flea Market. It is enormous (that picture shows half of it, maybe). Now, if you know me, you know that flea markets rank right up there with garage sales and Wal-Mart (yes, I used to like them but I have realized the error of my ways). Shipshewana is different though. There is a lot of junk, but also a lot of good stuff. Last year, I got a car charger for my cell phone for $10 ($40 at the t-mobile store) that worked perfectly until my cell phone stopped working. Maggie, myself, and my mom book through the aisles and stop only at the good booths, which there are suprisingly a lot of. Now that we don't have the motorhome to wait in, my parents and grandma stop shopping earlier and we have begun a new thing, going to Downtown Shipshewana.

Downtown is so cool. It's the old-country feel but not old-country-about-to-fall-apart. We find someplace to eat and then walk around, for about an hour, going to a lot of the shops. It is so much fun just to see all the buildings and landsaping. There is nothing like it around here.

It's so relaxing and that's one of the reasons I think I look forward to it every year. Eerybody is there just to enjoy the sun and taking their time and not rushing (although they could leave some of the aisle open for those of us who relax at a faster pace than they do). It really clears the mind of everything that is going on, especially with all the changes that are about to happen with going to college and moving away. It is going to be the perfect timing and I am looking forward to it so much!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home